July 8, 2010

Studio Ghibli working with Level 5 to create an RPG

http://kotaku.com/5571557/see-the-trailer-for-ghiblis-ps3-game
http://kotaku.com/5571460/studio-ghiblis-ps3-game-is-breath-taking/gallery/

:O

HOLEE SHET. This might just be my inner fanboy, but... DAMN.

Now, a little bit of background to explain my excitement... Studio Ghibli has been a HUGE part of my childhood, and I've watched and enjoyed plenty of their movies. In the case of Level 5, I have a lot of nostalgia for Dark Cloud 1 and 2, even if they aren't the best games. They were the first games they ever made, and they've gone on to make excellent games such as the Professor Layton series. I'm stoked to see Level 5 making an RPG, and with one of the world's best animation studios working beside them, this should be good.

The game is called Ni no Kuni, and is slated to come out for the DS this year and the PS3 in 2011. (At least, in Japan) The game seems to do a good job of capturing the style of Ghibli films, I like it. The look is very stylized, and I've heard that some don't like it... Well, I can't understand why! I hope that Studio Ghibli is also working on the story, and that Joe Hisaishi is working on the soundtrack. Both of these would really help the game.
 
Looking at what we've seen of the battle system, it is an action RPG, like Level 5 has made before. There is an overworld map with random encounters, similar to RPGs of old. However, it looks like you will be casting spells and controlling monsters in real time, similar to the DS game Lost Magic. Also, we saw some other characters controlling monsters... Maybe some co-op? I dunno, they might just be AI companions, but still. What I do know is that I am psyched for this game, can't wait to hear more about it. What do you think?

EDIT: In the latest addition of Nintendo Power, it was essentially confirmed that this game along with a soccer RPG made by Level 5 will be localized. Thank you! Link below.

http://www.thespeedgamers.com/studio-ghibili-rpg-and-inazuma-eleven-seeing-localization

No comments:

Post a Comment